MLT - Cytology
Students pursue post-secondary studies in medical laboratory science - usually a two or three year accredited training program at the community college or university level.
Medical laboratory technology-Diagnostic Cytology programs train students in cytology and histotechnology.
Conducts tests on cells, fluid and tissues taken from the body to detect cancer. Microscope interpretation is the majority of the daily work. Common Test : Pap smear for the detection of Cervical Cancer.
Once you've graduated from your post-secondary training you'll need to:
- Write the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS) national certification exam to be certified. This certification allows you to work as a MLT-General throughout Canada
- CSMLS certification is required by most regulators for registration and is a requirement of employment by most employers.
- MLTs must also be licenced to practice by SSMLT to work in Saskatchewan.
MLT Cytology Program
Saskatchewan Polytechnic Cytotechnology Programs - Visit the Website
Other Canadian Programs
SSMLT MLT-Cytology Licence requirements
- Complete a Canadian Accredited Diagnostic Cytology MLT program to be eligible to write CSMLS National Certification exam.
- Successfully challenge the CSMLS National Certification MLT-Cytology exam.